Making a difference isn't hard to do.
When more than 300 people from East Hill gave a few hours one August morning to spruce up school campuses across Gresham, it didn't require a major investment. It didn't even take a whole Saturday. But the impact was huge. John Miner, then the Superintendent of the Gresham-Barlow School District, said, "East Hill Church is a leader when it comes to providing support for our schools."
It's all about intention. It's all about being compelled to make a difference, to be the hands and feet of Jesus across town, to people who don't necessarily believe what we do. It's about just getting out there and doing something. That's Local Outreach.
East Hill has a number of ongoing Local Outreach projects, as well as several seasonal focuses. Make sure you check our Volunteer Opportunities page to see where you can help now. Here are our various ministries:
Serving the homeless
- Gifts of Grace - Distributes personal care kits to the homeless in East County the first and third Sundays of the month at Zarephath Kitchen. Sign-up required.
- Zarephath Kitchen - Serves meals to the homeless the first and third Sundays of the month at Zarephath Kitchen (59 N.W. Ava Ave.). Sign-up required.
- Street Team - Provides meals and clothing to the homeless in downtown Portland. Call Loren if interested, 503.661.4444 ext. 573.
- Day Shelter - Our Youth Center gives the local homeless a warm, dry place to spend the afternoon.
Lending a hand
- Extend-A-Blessing Sewing Ministry - Fans of sewing create various items that'll bless and warm others the first and third Saturdays of the month.
- Benevolence - Assists East Hill members in need with utilities, provides the meals served to the homeless at Zarephath Kitchen and gives food boxes and other gifts to our neighbors struggling in these difficult times. This ministry is supported by special offering.
- Food Drive - Collects non-perishable goods that fill the Benevolence food boxes. Donation bins are at every Auditorium entrance.
- Miltary Support Group - Stands behind our sons, daughters, friends and relatives in the armed forces through prayer, care packages, letter-writing and more.
- Computer Training Ministry - Provides basic computer training, as well as training on Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, etc.) for single moms, parents and church members who need these skills to get jobs (or better jobs), but can't afford to pay for classes. Computer and software donations needed. All donations are tax deductible. To sign up for classes, please fill out this form. For more info, visit the Info Center for a brochure or e-mail EastHillComputerTraining@gmail.com.
- Extend-A-Blessing Christmas - Brightens the holiday season by providing Christmas food baskets and simple gifts to families in need from East Hill and the community at large. Needs include family sponsorship and coordinating sponsors. Takes place November and December.
- Teddy Bear Parade - Supports the annual Gresham Soroptomist Teddy Bear Parade by providing coffee, goodies, restrooms and general support. Parade takes place every September.
- Community Care Day - Beautifies public facilities (schools, parks, etc.) as part of a massive, quarterly volunteer effort. Event typically takes place for several hours before noon at various locations. Biggest event is in August as part of the Palau Association's Season of Service.
- Rockin' Round the Block - Supports the annual Gresham event by providing and staffing the Family Fun Zone. Takes place every August.